|1982, J.D.||Harvard Law School, Board of Student Advisors, Member, 1980-82, Chairman, 1981-82; Faculty Legal Education Committee Member, 1981-82|
|1974, B.A.||University of South Carolina Honors College, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa|
- Eighteen Wyche Attorneys Named to the 2019 Best Lawyers List
- Nineteen Wyche Attorneys Recognized as Greenville's "Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Two Wyche Attorneys Named to the 2018 Best Lawyers List
- Twelve Wyche Attorneys Recognized as Greenville's "Legal Elite"
- Sixteen Wyche Attorneys Recognized by South Carolina Super Lawyers
- The Timeless Ambition of Tommy Wyche
- Join the Effort to Expand Jones Gap
- Age 90 and getting younger
- Represented a major paper manufacturer in a general liability insurance claim involving failure of a large piece of equipment. After three days of trial, the opposing party raised its pretrial offer from $200,000 to the full amount of the claim, nearly $2 million, resulting in settlement of the case.
- Marshall defended a large military goods manufacturer against a wrongful-rejection claim brought by a supplier alleging damages in the millions of dollars. The jury rendered a verdict for our client, even though the defense was based on a complicated Uniform Commercial Code theory.
- For many years Marshall represented a well-known fitness equipment manufacturer. Using a principle of bankruptcy law he argued was applicable to certain legacy products, Marshall was able to resolve literally scores of personal-injury claims all across the country without any payment whatsoever by either the client or the client's insurer.
- After a disastrous decision of the state supreme court while represented by another law firm, an international client retained Marshall to resolve a complex matter involving a multi-million dollar U.S. judgment and potential criminal liability. Through patient negotiation over several months, Marshall was able to settle the matter on very favorable terms for the client, which settlement enabled the client to begin a series of business transactions resulting in acquisition of one of the largest industrial enterprises in Europe. Marshall continues to represent that client in both U.S. and European matters.
- Marshall defended an insurance company in a substantial fidelity coverage claim brought by a large local bank, resulting in a jury verdict in favor of the defendant. Jurors interviewed after the verdict took note of certain special tactical decisions Marshall made as being important to their decision.
- In defending a regional supermarket chain against an antitrust claim brought by a larger competitor, Marshall established much of the defense case through sometimes dramatic cross examination of the plaintiff’s witnesses. The plaintiff took six days to put on its case. Sensing an opportunity, and after discussing this with the client, Marshall made a strategic decision to abbreviate the defense case to one day. The jury returned a verdict for the defense after fifteen minutes of deliberation.
|1982–85||Associate, Buist, Moore, Smythe & McGee, Charleston, South Carolina|
|1974–79||Admissions Officer, University of South Carolina; founding Director of Admissions, South Carolina Honors College, 1976–79|
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1991
- South Carolina Bar, 1982
- American Bar Association Foundation, Fellow
- Board of Law Examiners, by appointment of the South Carolina Supreme Court, Member, 2003-2013
- The Nature Conservancy of South Carolina, Jones Gap State Park Expansion Project, 2009-Present
- Urban League of the Upstate, Board Member and Chairman of the Board of Trustees, 2002-2012
- University of South Carolina Honors College, Partnership Board, 1999-Present
- Greenville Civic Chorale, Member, 1985-Present
- Doing Business in South Carolina Guide, co-author of Section XIII: Debtor and Creditor; Insolvency; Fraudulent Conveyeances; Liens, and Section XVIII: Commercial Law; Miscellaneous
- Co-author, "Till Death Do We Split: Married Couples and Single Persons Under the Individual Income Tax," 34 S.C.L. Rev. 829, 1983
|2018||Best Lawyers 2018 Greenville Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions-Defendants "Lawyer of the Year"|
|2018||Best Lawyers 2018 Greenville Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law "Lawyer of the Year"|
|2012 - Present||Recognized as "Legal Elite" by the Greenville Business Magazine|
|Listed in South Carolina Super Lawyers|
|2004 - Present||Listed in Best Lawyers In America|