|1997, J.D.||University of Virginia School of Law, Virginia Law Review, Editorial Board, 1995-97; Order of the Coif; Lacy Withers Armor Scholar|
|1991 & 1988, PhD., M.A.||University of Virginia, Graduate School of Arts & Sciences; Foreign Affairs; Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship, U.S. Arms Control & Disarmament Agency, 1990-91; MacArthur Fellow; Center for International Security Studies at Maryland, 1989-91; National Science Foundation Fellow, 1987-90; University of Virginia Presidential Fellow, 1986-87, 1990-91|
|1986, B.S.||Clemson University, Physics, summa cum laude|
- Twenty-Two Wyche Attorneys Named to the 2018 Best Lawyers List
- Wyche, P.A. Recognized as a Leading Law Firm by Chambers USA
- Wyche Attorneys Recognized as Greenville's “Legal Elite”
- Berger Group of Companies’ Acquisition of Ranger International Services Group, Inc. Receives Three "Deal of the Year" Awards
- Greenville defense contractor sold
- Ranger International Buyout Recognized as "Deal of the Decade" by the M&A Advisor Magazine
- Creating a corporate culture of giving
Recent M&A Transactions
- Represented Span-America Medical Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPAN) in connection with its acquisition by Savaria Corporation (TSX: SIS) for approximately $80.2 million by way of an all-cash tender offer pursuant to an agreement and plan of merger.
- Represented the founders of ten affiliated healthcare clinical trials companies in connection with the reorganization of the companies under a holding company and the subsequent recapitalization of the holding company by private equity.
- Represented the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control in the transfer of its licenses to provide home health services in all 46 counties of South Carolina for approximately $18 million to a subsidiary of Kindred Healthcare, Inc. (NYSE:KND).
Recent Entrepreneur Representations
- Represented smart phone application development company in four rounds of convertible note and warrant offerings and in compensatory restricted stock issuances.
- Represented growth stage technology company in private offering of preferred stock to venture capital investors.
- Represented computer chip design start-up in acquisition of its core intellectual property and convertible note private placement.
Recent Outside General Counsel Representations
- Represented community bank in proxy contest.
- Represented Span-America Medical Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPAN) in the repurchase of approximately 9% of its outstanding common stock from affiliates of The InterTech Group and negotiation of a related standstill agreement.
Representative Historical Transactions
- Luxury Jet Transactions
- Acquisition of a new Bombardier Global 5000 in 2007
- Acquisition of a new Gulfstream G650 in 2015
- Sale of a Gulfstream G650 in 2015
- Acquisition of a new Bombardier Global 6000 in 2016
- Ranger International Services Group, Inc. & Louis Berger Services, Inc.
- Represented Ranger International Services Group, Inc., an aviation, logistics and engineering services firm, in its acquisition of U.S. Logistics, Inc. -- Named "Lower Middle Market Deal of the Year" for 2009 and one of the "Deals of the Decade" by The M&A Advisor Magazine.
- Represented Ranger International Services Group, Inc. in its acquisition by Berger Group Holdings, Inc., a global engineering firm, announced February 1, 2012. Ranger was renamed Louis Berger Services, Inc. following the transaction.
- Represented Louis Berger Services, Inc., in its acquisition of Hawthorne Services, Inc., a firm specializing in facility services and fueling operations at airfields and military bases, in December 2012.
- Represented founders of a private company who had built their business over 20 years in selling a majority interest in their company for over $50 million to two private equity funds.
- Represented the founders as selling shareholders in its initial public offering.
- Represented the founders as selling shareholders in secondary offerings on Form S-3.
- Represented Span-America Medical Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPAN), a manufacturer of hospital bed mattresses and other foam products, in its acquisition of the assets of M.C. Healthcare Products, Inc., a Canadian company that manufactures hospital bed frames and sells other hospital room furniture, for approximately $9.8 million in December 2011.
|1992-94||Visiting Assistant Professor, Clemson University Political Science Department|
|1992||Post-Doctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory|
- South Carolina Bar, 1997
- Chair of the Task Force on Model Short Mergers & Acquisitions Agreements of the American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Middle Market & Small Business Committee charged with creating model 12-15 page stock purchase and asset purchase agreements intended for use in merger and acquisition transactions with a purchase price in the $500,000 to $10 million range.
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Middle Market & Small Business Committee, Member
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, Member
- Greenville Chamber of Commerce
- Urban League of the Upstate, Board of Directors, 2009-2014; General Counsel, 2009-2011
- Guardian Ad Litem for Children in DSS Abuse and Neglect cases, Volunteer, 1998-2013
- Caine Halter Family YMCA, Board of Advisors, 2006-2011
- Friends of the Greenville County Volunteer GAL Program, Board of Directors, 2004-2006
- Greenville Housing Authority, Board of Commissioners, 2000-2007; Chairman, 2006-2007
- Palmetto Boys Shelter of Miracle Hill Ministries Volunteer, 1998-2003
- Pendleton Place for Children and Families, Board of Directors, 2015-Present
- Course Instructor for Panel Presentation “Honey I Shrunk the Documents: Best practices for Purchase Agreements That Get Deals Done!” at the M&A Source conference at las Vegas, Nevada, October 23, 2017
- Course Instructor for Arizona Bar Continuing Legal Education Seminar “Honey I Shrunk the Documents: Best practices for Purchase Agreements That Get Deals Done!” in Phoenix, Arizona, May 12, 2017
- Panel presentation “Drafting Arbitration Clauses” for program titled “ADR in Action: How Arbitration and Mediation Clauses Work on Paper and in Practice” at the American Bar Association Business Law Section Spring Meeting, Montreal, Canada, April 7, 2016
- Doing Business in South Carolina Guide, author of Section XV: Licenses, updated October 2015
- Panel presentation “We’re Not in Kansas Anymore – Foreign M&A Pitfalls” for Wyche M&A CEO Roundtable, Greenville, South Carolina, September 15, 2015
- Speaker, “Securities Laws & Raising Capital”, The Iron Yard, May 13, 2015
- Speaker, “Private Offerings & Disclosure: Typical VC Investment Terms”, The Iron Yard, July 23, 2014
- Speaker, "Securities Laws & Disclosure", The Iron Yard, April 26, 2013
- Speaker, "Private Placements", The Iron Yard, August 8, 2012
- Guest Lecturer, “Starting Your Company”, Executive Leadership & Entrepreneurship Class, Clemson University College of Business & Behavioral Science, October 30, 2008
- Panelist, Wyche In-House Counsel CLE Roundtable – Mergers & Acquisitions, October 2008
- Raising Capital 101: Legal Considerations for Entrepreneurs, Start-ups and Small Businesses, as heard on "South Carolina Business Review" with Mike Switzer broadcast on June 26, 2008
|2018||Best Lawyers 2018 Greenville Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year"|
|2017||Listed in Chambers USA|
|2014||Best Lawyers Greenville Securities/Capital Markets Law "Lawyer of the Year"|
|2012 - 2015||Recognized as "Legal Elite" by the Greenville Business Magazine|
|2011||Urban League of the Upstate Volunteer of the Year Award|
|2010 - Present||Listed in Best Lawyers In America: Corporate Law (2010-Present), Securities Law (2011-Present)|
|2007||Liberty Fellow, Class of 2007|
|1999||South Carolina Bar Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year|
|1997||Thomas Marshall Miller Prize for Community Service, Virginia School of Law|
|1997||Robert F. Kennedy Award for Community Service, Virginia School of Law|
|1997||Rosenblum Award for Community Service, Virginia School of Law|