|1999, J.D.||University of Richmond School of Law, magna cum laude|
|1988, B.E.||Georgia Institute of Technology, Cooperative Program, with honors|
Recent merger and acquisition and associated financing engagements:
- Representing the selling shareholders of a defense industry manufacturer in the acquisition of the company stock by a private equity fund that involved rollover investment by the executive management. Subsequently, representing the minority, management shareholders that participated in the original rollover investment in the sale of all of the stock to a private, strategic buyer that also included rollover investment by executive management.
- Representing a public health care products manufacturer in an asset acquisition where the key assets acquired were patent rights.
- Representing an investment group acquiring an equipment distributorship and financing the acquisition through a combination of private equity fund preferred investment, local investment, and traditional bank loans.
- Representing a company in the development and implementation of an industry rollup strategy that has completed 20 acquisitions in the past three years and had financed much of the acquisition costs through issuance of equity through several Regulation D exempt offerings and seller financing.
Recent engagements with entrepreneurs:
- Representing a medical device inventor in the establishment of his company, structuring employee incentive plans, developing agreements for protection of intellectual property with contract research and manufacturing companies, and securing over $3 million in equity investment from angel investors.
- Representing a serial entrepreneur in the acquisition of a telecommunications equipment and installation service division from a large telecommunications provider and in securing the financing of the acquisition through a combination of equity investment by a group of individual investors and loans from a traditional lender.
- Representing an entrepreneur in the establishment of a new company, the licensing of patented technology from a large research university to serve as the key asset to be leveraged through new product development by the company and the creation of employee incentive compensation plans.
- Representing an entrepreneur company in structuring its acquisition by an international company seeking to enter the United States. This involved the establishment of a U.S. subsidiary of the acquirer, merger of the entrepreneur client into the subsidiary in exchange for shares of the international company, and state and local incentives for the newly formed U.S. entity. Subsequest to the closing, assisted the international company in raising investment funds through an exempt private offering in the U.S.
Recent technology engagements:
- Representing a large multi-national auto parts manufacturer in the outsourcing of its U.S. based information technology infrastructure and support to a multi-national technology services and manufacturing company.
- Representing a manufacturer in its first direct to consumer marketing and retailing operation, which was accomplished via an on-line store web site.
- Representing a start up company in negotiating an agreement for the development of the core product offering with a software development house, which agreement addressed issues of intellectual property ownership, development methodology, project planning, testing and acceptance.
- Representing a private manufacturer in the licensing of an enterprise resource planning software application and associated installation, training and consulting.
|1999–2000||Associate, McCandlish Kaine & Grant (now McCandlish Holton) in Richmond, Virginia|
|1992–96||Neil Thall Associates|
|1988–92||Consultant, Kurt Salmon Associates|
- South Carolina Bar, 2001
- Virginia Bar, 1999
- Upstate Carolina Angel Network, 2013-Present
- Westminster Presbyterian Church, Long Range Planning Committee Member, 2011; Pastoral Search Committee Member, 2013; Pastoral Search Committee Chair 2015-2016, Session Member 2014-2016
- Camperdown Academy Board of Trustees, Chair, 2011-2013; Board Member 2007-Present
- Sterling School Improvement Council, Past Chair, 2010-2013
- Upstate Alliance Bio Task Force, Member
- GSATC, Member
- Greenville Chamber of Commerce -- Economic Scorecard, 2011, 2012 and 2013 reports
- SCBIO, Board of Directors, 2015-Present; Executive Committee, 2017
- Riley Institute at Furman University, Diversity Leaders Initiative, Upstate Class VIII, 2009
- Leadership Greenville Class 30, 2004
- Speaker, "Crowdfunding", SCRA Management Meeting, April 19, 2017
- Conference Co-Chair and Speaker, "Transactional/Corporate Law Essentials", SC Bar CLE, June 10, 2016
- Speaker, "Company Formation", SCBIO-Faber Center Life Sciences Startup University, February 25, 2016
- Speaker, "Issues in Fundraising -- Solicitation and Advertising -- What's New," SCBIO Annual Conference, November 6, 2015
- Guest Lecturer, "Starting Your Technology Start-Up Company", Clemson University Entrepreneurship for Engineers, September 30, 2015
- Speaker, “IP and the Entrepreneur", MIT Venture Mentoring Service, September 22, 2015
- Conference Co-Chair and Speaker, "Transactional/Corporate Law Essentials", SC Bar CLE, June 12, 2015
- Author, "Been thinking about seeking trademark protection and wondering about the process?", Wyche Inside IP, November 2014
- Author, "Washington Redskins Trademark Decision", Wyche Inside IP, August 2014
- Speaker, "Legal Issues for Entrepreneurs, A Case Study", Clemson University Design and Entrepreneur Network, January 13, 2015
- Conference Co-Chair and Speaker, "Transactional/Corporate Law Essentials", SC Bar CLE, June 13, 2014
- Speaker, "IP Basics for Entrepreneurs", The Iron Yard, August 12, 2014
- Speaker, "Contracts", Internal Education, Wyche, P.A., July 14, 2014
- Speaker, "Integrating Development, Licensing & Investment Strategies -- Funding the IP Start-Up", SCBIO Annual Conference, November 15, 2013
- Guest Lecturer, "Starting Your Technology Start-Up Company", Clemson University Entrepreneurship for Engineers, September 17, 2013
- Speaker, "The Connected Corporation -- Benefit Corporations", Wyche In-house Counsel Roundtable, September 12, 2013
- Author, "New Paths and Potholes for Startup Funding", Upstate Business Journal, August 8, 2013
- Speaker, "IP Basics for Entrepreneurs", The Iron Yard, July 23, 2013
- Speaker, "Legal Concerns Arising from Emerging Trends in Technology", Wyche In-house Counsel Roundtable, June 12, 2012
- Speaker, "Legal Side of Business on the Net", Grow Expo, May 25, 2010
- U.S. Federal Trademark Registration Process, an outline of the typical process for federally registering a trademark in the U.S.
- Maintaining a Federal Trademark Registration, an overview of key maintenance activities
- Getting Noticed on the Web, as heard on "South Carolina Business Review" with Mike Switzer broadcast on February 27, 2009
- Speaker “Copyright or Copywrong? Copyright Issues for Congregational Libraries” Church & Synagogue Library Association Annual Conference, July 21, 2008
- Speaker “Intellectual Property Basics for the Entrepreneur” Wyche In-House Roundtable, September 27, 2007
- Speaker “E-Commerce-I Totally Don’t Know What That Is But I Know I Want It!” South Carolina Upstate Paralegal Association, April 12, 2007
- Speaker “CAN-SPAM? Yes You Can With the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003!", Wyche In-House Counsel Roundtable, May 25, 2004
- Speaker “Emerging Issues in E-Commerce”, Greenville County Bar Annual CLE Program, December 6, 2002
- Speaker “Emerging Issues in E-Commerce” CLE Seminar, October 8, 2002
- Member of task force seeking passage in South Carolina of the Uniform Electronic Transaction Act
|2013||Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rated|
|2012 - Present||Recognized as "Legal Elite" by the Greenville Business Magazine|
|2011 - Present||Listed in Best Lawyers In America|
|2004||Graduate of Leadership Greenville, Class 30|